Experimental, theoretical and computational molecular optics. Measuring and modelling intermolecular interaction effects.
- Measurement of molecular polarizabilities and hyperpolarizabilities via the electro-optic Kerr effect, Rayleigh light-scattering and the Cotton Mouton effect
- Measurement of molecular electric quadrupole moments by means of the Buckingham effect (electric-field-gradient-induced birefringence, EFGIB)
- Measurement and computer modelling of intermolecular interaction effects
- Calculation and measurement of the second light-scattering virial coefficients of nonlinear molecules: a study of ethene, VW Couling and C Graham, 1996, Molecular Physics, 87, 779-799.
- Second Kerr effect virial coefficients of polar molecules with linear and lower symmetry, VW Couling and C Graham, 1998, Molecular Physics, 93, 31-47.
- Ultraviolet resonance Raman study of drug-binding in dihydrofolate reductase, gyrase and catechol o-methyl transferase, VW Couling, P Fischer, D Klenerman and W Huber, 1998, Biophysical Journal, 75, 1097-1106.
- Measurement of the electric quadrupole moments of CO2 and OCS, N Chetty and VW Couling, 2011, Molecular Physics, 109, 655-666.
- The electric quadrupole moment of O2, VW Couling and SS Ntombela, 2014, Chemical Physics Letters, 614, 41-44.
- Hyperpolarizability dispersion measured for (CH3)2O, VW Couling and DP Shelton, 2015, Journal of Chemical Physics, 143, 224307.
Current PhD students
- Mr Prathapa Balachandran-Pillai
- Ms Roshna Jacob
- Mr Mzungezi Mthembu
- Mr Preshen Naidoo
- Mr Siyabonga Ntombela
Current MSc students
- Mr Mzwandile Mhlongo
- Mr Verlan Moodley
- Mr Preshen Naidoo (MSc, 2017)
- Mr Siyabonga Ntombela (MSc, 2015)
- Mr Mzungezi Mthembu (MSc, 2015)
- Ms Patricia Govender (MSc, 2011)
- Dr Naven Chetty (PhD, 2009)
- Dr Angela Dudley (MSc, 2009)
- Ms Ann Singh (MSc, 2006)
- Dr Tleyane J Sono (MSc, 2003)
- Mr Richard V Nhlebela (MSc, 2000)