MOLECULAR OPTICS RESEARCH GROUP
Dr Vincent Couling
Our interests include experimental, theoretical and computational aspects of molecular optics, including the measurement and modelling of intermolecular interaction effects.
Current Research Projects
- Measurement of molecular polarizabilities and hyperpolarizabilities via the electro-optic Kerr effect, Rayleigh light-scattering and the Cotton Mouton effect
- Measurement of molecular electric quadrupole moments by means of the Buckingham effect (electric-field-gradient-induced birefringence, EFGIB)
- Measurement and computer modelling of intermolecular interaction effects
- Higher-order dipole-dipole, dipole-quadrupole and field gradient contributions to the second light-scattering virial coefficient, VW Couling and C Graham, 1993, Molecular Physics, 79, 859-867.
- Measurement and interpretation of the second light-scattering virial coefficients of linear and quasi-linear molecules, VW Couling and C Graham, 1994, Molecular Physics, 82, 235-244.
- Calculation and measurement of the second light-scattering virial coefficients of nonlinear molecules: a study of ethene, VW Couling and C Graham, 1996, Molecular Physics, 87, 779-799.
- Ultraviolet resonance Raman spectroscopic study of the average environment of tyrosine in native and denatured barnase, VW Couling, NW Foster and D Klenerman, 1997, Journal of Raman Spectroscopy, 28, 33-38.
- Second Kerr effect virial coefficients of polar molecules with linear and lower symmetry, VW Couling and C Graham, 1998, Molecular Physics, 93, 31-47.
- Ultraviolet resonance Raman study of drug-binding in dihydrofolate reductase, gyrase and catechol o-methyl transferase, VW Couling, P Fischer, D Klenerman and W Huber, 1998, Biophysical Journal, 75, 1097-1106.
- Depolarized interaction-induced Rayleigh light scattering in gaseous SO2, VW Couling, C Graham and JM McKenzie, 1999, Molecular Physics, 96, 921-925.
- Calculation of second Kerr effect virial coefficients of interacting nonlinear polar molecules: a study of hydrogen sulphide, VW Couling and C Graham, 2000, Molecular Physics, 98, 135-138.
- Anisotropic molecular polarizabilities of HCHO, CH3CHO and CH3COCH3. Rayleigh depolarization ratios of HCHO and CH3CHO, and first and second Kerr virial coefficients of CH3COCH3, VW Couling, BW Halliburton, RI Keir and GLD Ritchie, 2001, Journal of Physical Chemistry A, 105, 4365-4370.
- Calculation and measurement of the second light-scattering virial coefficient of (CH3)2O, VW Couling and RV Nhlebela, 2001, Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics, 3, 4551-4554.
- Experimental molecular-optics at the University of KwaZulu-Natal, VW Couling, 2005, South African Journal of Science, 101, 263-264.
- Measurement of the electric quadrupole moments of CO2 and OCS, N Chetty and VW Couling, 2011, Molecular Physics, 109, 655-666.
- Measurement of the electric quadrupole moment of N2O, N Chetty and VW Couling, 2011, Journal of Chemical Physics, 134, 144307.
- Measurement of the electric quadrupole moment of CO, N Chetty and VW Couling, 2011, Journal of Chemical Physics, 134, 164307.
- The electric quadrupole moment of O2, VW Couling and SS Ntombela, 2014, Chemical Physics Letters, 614, 41-44.
Current PhD students
- Mr Prathapa Balachandran-Pillai
- Mr Mzungezi Mthembu
- Mr Siyabonga Ntombela
Current MSc students
- Mr Preshen Naidoo
- Mr Siyabonga Ntombela (MSc, 2015)
- Mr Mzungezi Mthembu (MSc, 2015)
- Ms Patricia Govender (MSc, 2011)
- Dr Naven Chetty (PhD, 2009)
- Dr Angela Dudley (MSc, 2009)
- Ms Ann Singh (MSc, 2006)
- Dr Tleyane J Sono (MSc, 2003)
- Mr Richard V Nhlebela (MSc, 2000)